Abia NUT suspends strike action
*NUT, NATIONAL LEADERSHIP INTERVENTION ON ABIA TEACHERS’ PLIGHT*
Based on the intervention and extensive deliberation by the NUT, National leadership on the plight of Abia Teachers with His Excellency, the governor, Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu yesterday, 1st March, 2021, it was resolved as follows:
1. That the government will make teachers’ salaries top priority.
2. That the state government has agreed to liquidate all the outstanding arrears of salaries owed to both Senior and Junior Secondary School teachers in the state before end of 2021.
3. That government has agreed to pay the basic school teachers the N10,000 added on salaries of all workers in the state.
4. That the issues on policy matters will also be addressed when the whole documentations are made available e.g. promotion implementation, leave grants and others.
5. Government has equally directed that the check-off dues and Teachers’ Retirement Contributions should be paid along with every salary payment of teachers.
On the forgoing, and based on the understanding reached with the NUT leadership, we have been directed to inform you that the ongoing strike action is hereby suspended. Teachers are by this notice directed to go back to classes tomorrow Wednesday 3rd March, 2021. The National leadership commends your doggedness and sustainability throughout the period of the strike action.
The NUT, Abia State Wing sincerely appreciates your solidarity, unity, support and cooperation during the period.
We want to sincerely appreciate our amiable governor, His Excellency, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu for his timely intervention and we pray that those offices involved in the implementation of all the resolutions will do the needful.
We want to also thank the National President of the NUT – the number one teacher, Dr. Nasir Idris, the Secretary General, Dr. Mike Ike Ene and the National Treasurer, Com. Segun Raheem for their encouragement and support in this struggle.
Esteemed Comrades, we urge you to stay safe and observe all Covid-19 protocols as you go back to classes.
Hi Teachers! Hi NUT!!
*Elder Comrade Kizito A. Kalu* (State Chairman)
*Comrade Mrs. Nnenna Okonkwo* (State Secretary)