Today June 10th 2021 marks the 6 years Anniversary of Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uchendu as the Member Representing Ohafia South State Constituency at the Abia State House of Assembly.
Since his election in 2015 till date, it has been a harvest of dividends of democracy for the people of Ohafia South.
Like Sheryl Sanberg captured it, “Leadership is about making others better as a result of your
presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence.”
Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uchendu has since written his name in Gold in the political history of Ohafia with his unprecedented list of achievements.
Within this period, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uchendu has achieved the following in no particular order;
★ Borehole Project @ Amaekpu Ohafia (completed).
★ Skill Acquisition Center in Akanu (inherited from Inyom Akanu at Roofing Level) Completed.
★ Health Care Center @ Ihenta/Ibina Ohafia (completed).
★ Abia North Fire Service Station @ Amaekpu Ohafia (Ongoing).
★ Skill Acquisition Center @ Amangwu Ohafia (Ongoing).
★ Modern Classroom Block @ Okpocha Primary School, Amaekpu Ohafia (Attracted & Completed).
★ Borehole Project @ Okon Aku Ohafia (Ongoing).
★ Facilitated the Employment of Ohafians into Government Agencies/Ministries.
★ Facilitated the appointment of Ohafians as Special Assistants, SSAs and Special Advisers to the Governor.
★ Modern Classroom Block @ Isiugwu Comprehensive Secondary School, Isiugwu Ohafia (Attracted & Completed).
★ Borehole Project @ Elu Ohafia (Completed).
★ Modern Toilet @ Okagwe Ohafia (Completed).
★ Palliative work @ Nkwebi/Ndi Aku/Ndi Uduma Ukwu/Oboro Road.
★ It was his giant steps that ensured the restoration of Electricity in Ohafia by EDDC after several months of blackout.
★ He initiated a Palliative work at Nmuri Bridge that was halted half way by FERMA to enable the Agency step in to tackle the project.
★ Donated Deep Freezers, Big Electricity Generating Sets, Washing Machines and Cash to Ohafia Youths as Direct Empowerment Program.
★ Construction of Eziafor Daily (Evening) Market (Completed).
★ Building of the Ohafia Unity Hall located at Elu Ohafia (completed).
★ Renovation of the OBIMBA HALL in Amaekpu Ohafia to the best possible standard.
★ Assisted in re-roofing Ndi Ibe Hall.
★ Borehole Project for the people of Ebem Ohafia (Completed).
★ Reticulation of the water scheme at Amankwu and Amuma Communities of Ohafia.
★ Renovation/Roofing of the Amaekpu Ohafia daily market, popularly known as Ogwuma Amaekpu.
★ Attracted the construction of Okon Aku bridge which was sponsored by the Abia state government under the leadership of Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu (Ph.D).
★ Through his effort, 3 communities (Ebem, Eziafor and Okon Aku) were given one transformer each. This is another dividend of democracy we tapped from Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu.
★ Renovation of the Ogbor Awagu, a mini hall at Okon Aku Ohafia.
★ Erosion control project @ Amoba Section of Amaekpu Ohafia.
★ Assisted the people of Ndi Aku community in fixing the roof of their hall.
★ Donation of #200,000 to Eziafor community to assist them in their building (hall) project.
★ Grading of some internal roads in Akanu/Abia and Eziafor communities.
★ Donation of 50 bags of Cement and 80 lengths of rods and a further #100, 000 to Isiugwu Youths to assist them in the ongoing bridge construction @ Obai Isiugwu Ohafia.
★ Donation of hundreds of thousands to Age grades and Women Association in various communities of Ohafia to enable them undertake their projects which are all geared towards the development of Ohafia.
★ Construction of a 20 Nos lock up stores at Owuwa Anyanwu Park @ Okagwe Ohafia (Ongoing).
★ Free WAEC/JAMB Registration for over 150 Ohafia Students.
★ Attracted two classroom blocks, one at Amaekpu Community Primary School and the other one at Amaetiti Primary School, Asaga which are both been financed by the Abia state Government under the leadership of Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu (Ph.D).
★ Award of Scholarships to some Ohafia Students and assisted in the payment of Acceptance fees of others.
★ Shared over 5,000 pieces of Exercise Books to pupils of some secondary schools in Ohafia during Children’s Day Celebrations.
★ Free Medical Outreach for all the wards (Isiama, Ebem Oha, Ohafor, Ania and Okamu) in Ohafia South constituency where lot’s of people numbering over 3000 with various health challenges were treated free of charge. During the medical outreach, surgical operations were carried out and those who couldn’t foot the bills of their surgical operations prior to the scheme were operated free of charge too.
★ The Covid-19 Lock Down period was another opportunity which the Deputy Speaker explored to prove to his constituents that he always have their interest at heart.
– During this period, the benevolent law maker donated over 100 bags of rice, over 1000 tubers of yam, several cartons of indomie, cartons of milk, Groundnut oil, bags of Salt, Buckets for hand washing, hand sanitizers and detergents. He even made sure that Ohafians always get regular informations/updates regarding the Covid-19 Pandemic when he gave out a monthly data subscription to 100 persons from Ohafia via Online.
– Not satisfied with that, the Deputy Speaker came back afterwards with his second palliative materials. Again, he donated bags of rice, cartons of indomie and other items to Ohafia Vigilante Group, Inyom Elu, Amaekpu Community and even members of his age grade.
– In cash, the Deputy Speaker gave out Five Hundred and Fifty thousand naira to Youths from Ohafia. He reached out to several others who visited his home during the Covid-19 period with thousands of money to sustain them during the lock down period.
★ Through his pet Project, the NWACHINEMERE FOUNDATION, he paid hospital bills of some members of his constituency and sponsored surgical operations for some of them both in FMC, Umuahia and other hospitals in Ohafia.
★ Youth Empowerment/Skill Acquisition Programme where over 300 Ohafia Youths were trained in various skills.
★ He has also empowered some youths in Ohafia South constituency with Cars, Deep freezers, Electric Generating Sets, as well as giving out several hundreds of thousands of money to our youths to start up their choice of businesses.
★ He sponsored 10 Ohafia Youths during the South-East Entrepreneurship training Organized by the Central Bank.
★ He initiated and has been the sole sponsor of the Ohafia Unity Cup Competition which is geared towards engaging the Youths and identifying talents.
★ Through his pet project, The Nwachinemere Foundation, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uchendu has touched the lives of many of his constituents positively via reaching out to the less privileged, motherless babies homes, the physically challenged persons, victims of fire outbreaks and herdsmen attack.
★ He is also notable for sharing bags of rice to women of the various communities in Ohafia during Christmas.
★ In the business of the house, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uchendu has been a dependable, active and hardworking Deputy to the Speaker of the 7th Abia State House Of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Chinedum Orji.
– His diligence and attention to details has seen him represent the Speaker and the house at various important occasions.
– He led a delegation of the Abia State House of Assembly to Calabar earlier this year for an interactive session with the Cross Rivers House of Assembly to find a lasting solution to some lingering boundary disputes between the two sister states.
– He also led a delegation from the state house of Assembly to visit the immediate past Commissioner of Police, Abia State, Mr. Okon when the house received many complaints from Abians over incessant police harassment and extortion on the road.
– The Abia State Consumer Protection Agency Bill 2019 (HAB 6) which is sponsored by him is at the second reading stage.
– He also sponsored the Motion on ‘The Need to improve Access to Quality Portable Water through the Unbundling of Abia State Water Sector to Allow for Active Private Sector Participation/Partnership.
– He also moved the motion on ‘The Need to Reposition the Abia State Road Maintenance Agency (ABROMA) for Effective Service Delivery.
– Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uchendu also moved motions of Urgent Public Importance as it borders on fixing the various Erosion problems in Ohafia and other parts of the state as well as the Nmuri bridge in Ebem Ohafia.
– He has been a key player in the business of Legislation where he has lent his voice to important discuss that has affected his people positively particularly on being instrumental in curbing the Hausa/Fulani menace in Ohafia.
– He was also a signatory to the Anti Open Grazing Bill passed into law recently by members of the 6th Assembly of ABHA which is in a bid to regulate the activities of these herdsmen particularly as it concerns their anti economic dealings which reflects in their incessant clashes with farmers due to destruction of crops and other properties within the state.
– He supported the formulation of Legislative framework that will promote the e-collection of revenue and taxes sequel to the presentation of Legislative Roadmap 2015- 2019.
– Sponsored the motion on the need to have a Federal Secretariat in Abia State.
– Sponsored the motion on the need to establish a Fire Service Station in Abia North Senatorial zone (precisely Ohafia being the headquarters). This motion was reviewed severely by the house and was later passed as a bill. Being a law maker that believes so much in action than words, he has commenced the building of the said Fire Service Station and the project is now at an advanced level.
– Motion to eradicate and control quack medical practitioners in Abia state.
– Motion on the need to sensitize the constituents on the recent outbreak of lassa fever.
– Motion on the need to adopt an integrated approach in the control and containment of acute gully erosion in Ohafia south state constituency and it’s environs.
– Motion on the need to adopt proactive measures in response to the 2018 annual flood outlook.
– A bill for a law to establish the Abia state infrastructure maintenance and protection agency and other matters therein.
– Raised the following matters of urgent public importance
(a) the need to fix the Okon Aku bridge.
(b) the need to mandate ASEPA rid Umuahia and the highway of refuse dumps
(c) the need to restore peace in the Ohafia Legislative Council.
– He also sponsored the “Motion on the need to control the unlawful advertisements and sale of unapproved herbal mixtures in Abia state” so as to safeguard the health of Abians.
– He is currently the Chairman House Committee on Boundary and Security Matters, Chairman House Committee on Information and Communication as well as member of other committees of the house.
– He served as the Minority Whip of the 6th Assembly of ABHA, A former member of the house committee on Inter-Government Affairs, former member of the house committees on public account, transportation and previously a Chairman of the house committee on Lands.
★ Coming down to his party, The People’s Democratic Party, the Deputy Speaker has since risen up to the task of building a more formidable PDP in Ohafia.
– He played a major role in the smooth conduct of the LG and Ward Congresses of the party.
– He hosted the entire Ohafia PDP Family in his home where issues concerning the party were discussed. The gathering had the party’s big wits from Ohafia in attendance, including the Deputy Governor of Abia State, Rt. Hon. Ude Oko Chukwu who is the Abia North Leader of the Party.
– He has also hosted the newly elected and inaugurated PDP Ward Chairmen from the 5 Wards in Ohafia where he had a morale boosting discussion with them on the way forward for the party.
– The Deputy Speaker also recently donated a car to the PDP Woman Leader in Ohafia to enable her discharge her duties effectively.
★ While he is building for his people, the Deputy Speaker is also building for God. He is currently erecting a Church building for the Catholic Church in Elu Ohafia in keeping to his promise to God.
Virtually in every area he has found himself, the Deputy Speaker has already left an indelible mark that will stand the test of time.
As the mandate is still in force, the people of Ohafia South should #Expect_More from the man of the moment, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uchendu.
To God Be The Glory!
Iyke Nwachinemere Kay