Yesterday on the instructions of the of Governor Abia State Dr Okezie Victor Ikpeazu members of the 7th Abia state House of Assembly met at the Deputy Governor’s Lodge Government Umuahia where the two factions of the state House of Assembly met and agreed to lay down their arms for and give Peace a chance.
While the House was at war with each other so many names were listed as arrow heads behind the Leadership tussle at the state Assembly.
As the house returns to its original formation, who is the Deputy Speaker of the House?
According to the Minority leader of the House Hon Chijioke Chukwu, the deputy speakership position was never discussed during reconciliation he said” The issue of who is the Deputy Speaker did not come up at the meeting, the Governor asked everyone to return to status quo and if we are returning to Status quo, then Rt Hon Ifeanyi Uchendu remains the Deputy Speaker”
“What we discussed in the meeting was the issue of our welfare packages and how to exit peacefully as members of the 7th Abia State House of Assembly” he said.
According to a memo from the Chief Press Secretary to the Speaker Chief Jude Chijioke Ndukwe, Rt Hon Mandela Egwuronu Obasi remains the Deputy speaker and Rt Hon Ifeanyi Uchendu remains impeached, also a released jointly signed by the state lawmakers Mandela was recognized as the Deputy Speaker of the House.
See release below:
Breaking: Abia Assembly Peacefully Resolves Crisis
Being Text of Address by the Speaker,
Rt Hon Chinedum Enyinnaya Orji FNSE, on the Peaceful Resolution of the Crisis in the 7th Abia State House of Assembly this 24th Day of May, 2023
- Whereas on the 2nd Day of May, 2023, some members of Abia State House of Assembly purportedly gathered at a government facility namely Emeka Omeruah Guest House, Umuahia and claimed to have impeached the Speaker of the 7th Abia State House of Assembly, Rt Hon Chinedum Enyinnaya Orji FNSE.
- And whereas, the House of Assembly in its duly convened plenary session on the same 2nd May, 2023, impeached the Deputy Speaker, Rt Hon Ifeanyi Uchendu who presided over the said illegal session outside the legislative chambers and also suspended some members of the House whose pictures appeared in that illegal sitting
And whereas the above actions and inactions created a crisis in the Assembly.
IT IS HEREBY PEACEFULLY RESOLVED AS FOLLOWS:
- That the suspension of some Honourable Members of the House of Assembly is hereby lifted and voided via legislative actions.
- That Rt Hon Egwuronu Mandela Obasi remains the Deputy Speaker of the 7th Abia State House of Assembly.
- That the House shall reconvene in an extra-ordinary session on the 26th Day of May, 2023 for presentation and consideration of End-of-Tenure reports from the following committees.
a. Committee report on Public Accounts and MDG’s.
b. Committee report on Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs c.Committee report on Works and projects implementation d.Committee report on Health institutions
e.Ad-hoc Committee report on Joint Projects.
f.Ad-hoc Committee report on completion of JAAC Building
g. Consideration of Appropriate Date for Valedictory Session of the 7th Assembly.
- Rt Hon Chinedum
Enyinnaya Orji FNSE
- Rt Hon Egwuronu Obasi
- Hon Solomon Akpulonu
- Hon Chijioke Chukwu
- Hon A.C. Thomas Nkoro
- Hon Paul Taribo
- Hon Mike Ukoha
- Hon Abraham Oba
- Hon Kelechi Onuzuruike
- Hon Emeka Okoroafor
- Hon Jerry Uzosike
- Hon Stanley Nwabuisi
- Hon Emmanuel Ndubuisi
- Hon Nnamdi Allen Nwachukwu
- Hon Ginger Onwusibe
- Hon Aaron Uzodike.
The Big Question:
Who is the Deputy Speaker Of the 7th Abia Assembly?
Will Rt Hon Ifeanyi Uchendu be sacrificed at the altar of Peace?